This is work in progress!
There are several areas where students can work during Google summer of code. Basically this are our compontents:
The privacyIDEA server is the core component. It runs as a WSGI python application in Apache or NGinx. We have several ideas for new features.
You can either take a look at github or here are some top level ideas:
- Think about a cool new token type! What about FIDO2, Smartcards, biomentrics (why, how)…
- Design a new WebUI, which looks more like a dashboard.
- We could improve monitoring modules. Currently we are writing statistics data to the SQL database. But writing to a time series database would be great.
Applications use the two factor authentication of privacyIDEA usually by adding a plugin.
There are a lot of plugins available like for ownCloud, OTRS, dokuwiki… To get an idea see the list of the plugins.
Interesting new plugins could be
- Some other OAuth2 service
privacyIDEA Credential Provider for Windows
Somehow the privacyIDEA Credential Provider is also some kind of Plugin.
If Open Source on Windows with C and C++/C# is your thing, you should take a look at this. There are a lot of things to improve. One thing that pops into our mind is finally adding offline functionality.
There is a privacyIDEA Authenticator App for Android and iOS. Here are some ideas, how these apps can be improved:
- Backups with privacyIDEA
- A theming platform for the Apps. A user could upload his own images to this platform and a new APK will be built in the background.